Wood/O'Neill Family History
A genealogy of pioneering families
First Name:  Last Name: 
[Advanced Search]  [Surnames]

RUDDELL Amelia Caroline (Millie)

Female 1899 - 1960  (61 years)


Personal Information    |    Notes    |    All

  • Name RUDDELL Amelia Caroline (Millie) 
    Born 7 Feb 1899  Bundaberg, QLD Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender Female 
    Died 17 Feb 1960  Mackay, QLD Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I563  Wood/O'Neill
    Last Modified 28 Jan 2011 

    Father RUDDELL Thomas,   b. Abt 1842 or 1843, Donacloney (Donaghcloney), Co Down, Ireland Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 22 Aug 1903, Bundaberg, QLD Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age ~ 60 years) 
    Mother HAMMILL Norah (Honora),   b. 10 Sep 1863, Fortitude Valley, QLD, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 6 Dec 1936, Mackay, QLD, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 73 years) 
    Married 20 Jun 1883  Brisbane, QLD, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    • Married at the residence of Mr Stephen Hammill, Harcourt Street, Fortitude Valley according to the rites of the Wesleyan Methodist Church
    Family ID F19  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 1 CONWAY Michael Joseph,   b. 5 Jan 1879,   d. 20 Jun 1933, Mackay, QLD, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 54 years) 
    Married 10 Feb 1925 
    Children 
     1. CONWAY Keith John,   b. 13 Mar 1926, Mackay, Qld Australia Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 29 Nov 1999, Mackay, QLD, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 73 years)
    Family ID F397  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

    Family 2 HODGSON William John (Digger),   d. 1 Sep 1958, Mackay, QLD, Australia Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Children 
     1. Living
    Family ID F444  Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • Millie was 4 years old when her father died.

      Millie and her husband Michael had owned the Palace Hotel in 1925 and then later bought the Australian Hotel. The current building was built in 1940 by the Conway Family Estate. Prior to that, Michael had run the railway refreshment rooms at the goods yard.

      Millie later married Digger (Bill) Hodgson who helped her run the Australian. Keith Conway, her son ran the hotel for about 3 years after her death and then sold it to C.C Borg and his wife who later sold it to Michelmores. The family owned the hotel from 1927 until 1963 or 1966.

      The Australian Hotel, on the south-western corner of Victoria and Wood Streets, was one of the few hotels to retain its name since its inception in 1881. Its licence number was 443 and provided for a public bar and accommodation. Between 1891 and 1894, it was known as the North Australian. Millie and family members held the licence from 1927 until 1963, almost 36 years.